Friday, January 21, 2011

Warm Thoughts

   It is days like this that I like to daydream about all the warm places I've been and places I want to go. About a year ago I received the best Christmas gift ever, a trip to Mexico. Dave had asked me months before while sitting at the bar in El Vaquero, drinking margaritas if I would just up and go to the beach with him. I of course said yes and within days he was at the travel agent planning my surprise vacation. The date was set for late February of 2010, just hours before a snowstorm would hit Cleveland and Philly which is where we were scheduled to fly from. Luckily we made it out of the states safely and into warm, sunshiny Cancun. We had been up since 4 am and still had a 3 hour trip to Tulum Mexico, where we were staying at Bahia Principe. The taxi ride there just the beginning of an amazing journey. Apparently the president of Mexico was on the same route we were on because the whole way there we were followed by armed tanks and machine gun yielding men. I also wasn't aware that drinking in the taxi is allowed and encouraged!

   Once we stepped out of the taxi and into the beautiful resort of Bahia Principe we were greeted with welcome cocktails and immediately taken via golf cart to our upgraded room. We immediately hit the first bar we could walk to and finished our night drinking and talking to other travelers and staff.

   The next day we woke up to rain. This might discourage most vacationers, but not us. This was one of the most memorable days in Tulum. We found secluded hammocks under a shelter next to the ocean. We rested the entire morning in and out of sleep listening to the rain hit the roof and the low waves rolling in. When the rain stopped we managed to roll our bodies out of the hammock to explore the rain soaked beach. We found tide pools filled with sea life and coral washed upon the sand.We spent the afternoon under one of many community shelters where we played various versions of bingo, the resorts favorite game!
   The next evening would be the most memorable of the trip. We spent the day by the pool playing games and listening to music while soaking up the rays at the swim up bar (one of my favorite activities at Bahia Principe!) We went in early to prepare for our first 'fancy' dinner out. I dresses in a hot pink sun dress from Target and black t-strap sandals from Bakers. I even attempted to curl my hair, but the humid air immediately destroyed it. That night was a seafood dinner, I don't remember what I ate, I just remember that I felt sick all evening from days and nights of drinking alcohol and Mexican water. All I wanted to do was go back to the room and rest but Dave had other plans. During our cappuccino dessert I saw him begin to reach into his pocket and I knew precisely what he was doing. I even blurted out, "Are you going to ask me to marry you?!" I might have thrown him for a second but he still got on his knee and I said yes before I even heard the words. I was nervous and shaky and I didn't know what to do. Luckily there was another couple watching who asked to take our picture for us.
seconds after saying YES!
   Armed with new enthusiasm we were ready for our excursions the next morning. We snorkeled in underground caves called Cenotes, zip lined into the warm waters of above ground Cenotes and ate authentic Mayan chicken and rice on a Mayan farm. After, we headed to a salt water lagoon to snorkel where we spotted several sea turtles and many colorful fish.
   The next few days we spent lounging between the beach and the pool where we people watched and worked on our tan. We roamed up and down the beach visiting the different beach side bars and talking to people from around the world. My favorite bar that we discovered was the swing bar. It was a round hunt with swings instead of chairs. Here they would fill up my newly found drink holder the 'bubba keg'. This thing saved my life from many trips on the hot sand to the bar for refills. We snorkeled in the water off the beach, waded into the clear water and even met a friendly pelican.




   We ended our Mexican vacation with a day trip to see the Mayan ruins. If you are in the Riviera Maya you must take a tour to see these ancient ruins. We learned about life in ancient Mayan culture, the logic and science they used to building their village and as well as see many gorgeous views of the ocean. The whole area was magical and enchanting with lush grounds and secluded nature walks to rocky cliff ledges. Our trip ended just as amazing as it had started. On our very last night we got to hear the musical styling of Miguel Jackson.... 
L&O

1 comment:

  1. Lovely proposal story :) Can't wait for the wedding!

    ReplyDelete