Sunday, January 30, 2011

chocolate bacon

   This weekend has been amazing. It started Friday after work when I sat down with a glass of wine and Jersey Shore. During my Jersey fix I got a call from my good friend Toni, who was looking for a unique way to spend her 6th wedding anniversary. After much discussion we decided on heading to The Pub at Polaris for English pub food and draughts. We sampled their eclectic beers and appetizers before ending the evening checking out the highly talked about Tilted Kilt aka "Hooters for hot girls".
   The next morning I woke up with plans to road trip to south to see Ashley with Jen. We drove down and immediately headed to the caves for some winter hiking. The trails were slippery to say the least. Jen and Ashley took several spills, but we were lucky to find a nice gentleman to help! The waterfalls were frozen at Old Mans Cave, giving us gorgeous views. It was nice to get out of the house and enjoy the winter weather.

Jen attempting her way down the hill 

Icicles

Old Mans Cave
   After shedding our snow suits we drove the 30 minute stretch to Athens, Ohio, Ashley and my Alma Mater. I haven't been back since graduation in 2008 and was excited to see if there were any major changes. We ate at one of my favorite lunch spots, Bagel Street Deli. I ordered The Kevorkian which consisted of roast beef, tomato, swiss cheese and ranch. It was so good that it was sad to see it end. I love the atmosphere of Bagel Street. The menu is written in colored chalk on a chalkboard and every spring a pickle eating contest is held where the winner gets to create a new bagel sandwich creation to feature for the year. The brick walls are covered in chalk drawings and foil that is curled up into shapes, letters and designs. A true campus original!


    We finished the evening in Athens with a trip to the movie theater to see No Strings Attached. I wasn't sure what to expect, I was just happy to be out with girls to see a chick flick which is something I haven't done in awhile. I loved the movie, I thought it was cute and hilarious and Natalie Portman was awesome. A great way to spend a Saturday with the girls.
   It didn't end there because Sunday was a perfect day with my husband to be. Dave made a delicious brunch of omelets and bacon before we headed out to Men's Warehouse to choose his tux for the wedding. The boys will be wearing a classic black tux with a black textured vest and Dave will be wearing the same with a white vest. I had heard a lot of good things about the new Giant Eagle Market Place so while we were in Upper Arlington we decided to go. It was amazing! We ate our way down the aisles trying chips, salsa, burgers, cheese, crab cakes, pizza and breads. During our pit stop at the candy shop I decided it was finally time to try gelato. We tasted chocolate and tiramisu before deciding on peanut butter. It was delicious! I usually prefer sherbet to ice cream so this was a perfect in-between. On our way in we had heard that if we wanted to taste anything to just ask because it is Giant Eagles policy that if you ask, they will open anything for you. I hadn't planned on needing/using this service, that is, until we were offered! While paying for our gelato Dave pointed out a bacon chocolate bar. We must have looked intrigued because the gelato woman asked us if we'd like to try it. I felt my eyes light up, so we took her up on her offer. Not the most delicious dessert ever, but now I can officially say that I have tried chocolate covered bacon! We finally made it to the beer and wine section where we partook in a wine tasting. I loved mine so much that we left with a bottle of red wine, pepperoni bread and canoli's for dessert. It was definitely the best trip to the grocery store I have ever taken. We are about to sit back and enjoy our purchases with a little netflix. A perfect end to a perfect weekend.

L&O

1 comment: